Friday 9 March 2012

Dr. Seuss = Entertained & Delighted Children

Do you know the sound of a hippo chewing gum or two gold fishes kissing? Well, if you don't then you need to read Mr. Brown can Moo! Can You? by the one and only Dr. Seuss!


Dr. Seuss books are wonderful for every age group. Last evening I read two to my daughter - Mr. Brown can Moon! Can You? and Are You My Mother? We've read these books before and they are still fun when we read them again!


Mr. Brown Can Moo is full of silly noises; as I read the book, my three-year old repeated the noises that Mr. Brown can make. And my one-year old son watched us with amusement. Later, we went around the house exploring different objects and noting the sounds they made. 


The next book for the evening was Are You My Mother, a little adventure story about a baby bird searching for his mother. As the bird searches for his mother, he meets different animals and things and wonders if they are his mother. Through the little bird's adventures, children learn a little bit about visible characteristics, and can quickly understand why the cat or the cow cannot be the little bird's mother.


Dr. Seuss books are always on our bookshelf, in our bag and in the car. And when I see my daughter, cuddled up in a corner, reading a book and giggling, I know she is reading Dr. Seuss. 


So, if you thought that only TV shows and tablet Apps can entertain children these days, you ought to check out Dr. Seuss, and who knows you might be entertained yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment